There is no question mornings can be the hardest time for self-care. With all there is to do get everyone ready to start the day, we can feel stressed before we know it. Why not create delicious and nutritious cookies ahead of time to fuel up and slow down in the morning?
Baking cookies with kids can be stressful when using a blender, raw eggs and sugar, but this recipe has only healthy ingredients and are easily mixed with a spoon; no added sugar, no eggs and no flour! With only 3 essential ingredients, you can connect, laugh, measure and read together as you prepare a cookie you will feel good about serving and your family will love. These are easily gluten-free and organic, just check your labels when shopping! Best of all, they are perfect for breakfast and are easily customized to add your families favorites!
Begin by reading directions, using visuals for your young readers! Have an older child write down important reminders. Get baking!
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Let’s wash our hands!
- We need 2 non-stick cookie sheets, a big and little mixing bowl, measuring cups and measuring spoons, a hand-held masher, a mixing spoon.
- We need oats, peanut butter and 2 ripe bananas. What else should we add? Here are some suggestions: flax seed, chia seeds, raisins, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, or dark chocolate chips.
- Mash the bananas in the small bowl using the masher!
- In the large bowl, add 1 C. of gluten-free oats. If you would like add other ingredients, now is the perfect time! And we have the perfect amount! Add any or all: 2 t. flax seeds, 1t. chia seeds, 1/2 t. cinnamon, 2 T sunflower seeds, 1/3 C. raisins, cranberries or chocolate chips. (1/3 C = 5 T., so allow for a mixture of choice by using teamwork and a 1 T. measuring spoon).
- Stir dry ingredients before adding 1/3 C. peanut butter. Mix well.
- Add mashed bananas. Mix some more!
- Using sprayed or non-stick cookie sheets, spoon out small amounts of dough. Flatten cookies slightly.
- Bake at 350* for 12 minutes. Cool and enjoy!
- Store extras in an airtight container or baggie and have these healthy cookies ready for morning!